The function of a family room can still have design and style. Do you have kids and feel you have lost the congregating area in your home to toys and clutter? Reclaim your space and still share with your kids. Pick a neutral color palette like black + white + tan + cream + brown. Shop for interesting shapes and textures that are made of durable materials like wood, metal, hide and leather. Whimsical designs, animal figurines, sputnik shapes and clean lines add modern sophistication to a kid-friendly room.
1. Hanging Metal Card Holder ; 2. Nested Leather Baskets — Lazy Susan ; 3. Albus Box Set — Made Goods ; 4. Lex Chandelier — Noir ; 5. Claire Throw ; 6. Mathis Entertainment Console — Worlds Away ; 7. White Lola Accent Table — Arteriors Home ; 8. Cordaje Lamp — Arteriors Home ; 9. Frontier Pouf — Surya ; 10. You & Me Pillow ; 11. Brass Tic Tac Toe — Jonathan Adler ; 12. Peacock Embroidered Pillow — Nanette Lepore ; 13. Spade Pouf ; 14. Bali Floor Pillow — Lacefield Designs ; 15. Q+A a day for Kids : 3-Year Journal ; 16. Blackboard Easel
Here are some tips:
- Accessories : Find ways to incorporate games by selecting elegant materials like marble, brass and Lucite. Interactive coffee table books like a journal or sketchbook.
- Lighting : It is safest when kept overhead with a chandelier or pendant, but when in need of a table lamp for extra lighting — chose wide base and metal or wood. This is so that it is not easily knocked over or broken when a sock monkey goes flying across the room! Stay away from glass and ceramics!
- Furniture : Lacquer painted wood furniture is easy to wipe clean of fingerprints and other spills. If wanting to add extra protection to the tabletop, have your local glass guy cut a piece to lay on the top.
- Storage : This is key for hiding toys and games! You can never have enough-right? While Rubbermaid bins work great in the closet, leave them there and opt for more elegant and durable storage in the family room. Boxes for remotes or smaller items. Hide or leather baskets for stuffed animals and toys.
- Wall Decor : Displaying art and photos is part of what makes a family room cozy and lived in, so having designated clipboards or frames keeps the space uncluttered. Clipboards and large matted frames that you can easily swap out masterpieces work great for an accent wall.
- Seating : floor pillows and accent throw pillows are great for cuddling with at reading time. Using an ottoman or a few soft poufs instead of a coffee table is comfortable extra seating that moves easily for more space.
Get The Look Above : Lily Natural Fur Pillow — Made Goods ; Velvet Cotton Pillow ; Bodega Driftwood Lamp — Arteriors Home ; Lacefield Designs Linen Pillows ; Hicks Greek Key Pendant — Worlds Away ; Rocks + Agate Artwork Accessories