With the new year comes the chance to play around with your home’s design. Approaching 2017, look for modern furniture to design your rooms are based around a return to nature and comfort. This means a focus on warm, natural colors, creating comfy little nooks to get away from technology for a while, and using sustainable materials for your accessories. Here’s a quick guide of new modern ideas to inspire you!
Our daily lives are so full with technology these days, and that’s why it’s becoming popular to make a reading area where you can sit in a comfy chair, read a good book and get away from your phones and computers. Here are some accessories to consider:
- Fire pits—smaller fire pits to sit on your coffee or side table to create natural firelight and warmth
- Throws—warm and comfortable throws and blankets to keep cozy while reading
- Pillows—with geographic shapes like hexagons are getting very popular
- Baskets—woven baskets to keep your to-read pile close at hand
You can also play around with bookends, candles, lamps and other useful accessories for your relaxing space. Whether you go for more of a traditional and antique theme, or a modern and chic one, the key is comfort and relaxation. When picking out things like colors or materials for your accessories, you can think of…
Sustainability and green homes are becoming a fact of life, and that includes the accessories in your home. No matter what themes and colors you choose, you can achieve the style you want and do it with sustainable materials. Here are some ideas for eco-friendly accessories for your house:
- Wood—reclaimed and recycled wood for bowls, tables, chairs, etc
- Cork—warm color and texture good for coffee table bases, stool, pin boards, and entire sections of walls
- Natural fiber—using cotton, linen, silk, or wool for your rugs, throws, blankets, pillows, etc
- Recycled glass—they look no different than new glass and can be used for lights, lamps, bowls, candle holders, and more
The great thing about these materials is that you can pick and choose the type and color of each, in order to match your accessories’ style to your own personal flare. You can use the same materials for frames, vases, containers, coasters, boxes, and barware.
Back to Nature
The first two themes for 2017 touched on escaping from technology, relaxing, and using environmentally friendly materials for your home accessories. Getting back in touch with nature continues with that theme, and here are some accessory ideas to achieve it:
- Terrariums—recycled glass bowls and domes full of live green plants
- Fresh flowers—vases with fresh flower combinations that have natural or pastel coloring
- Green colors—dark greens, emerald, pastel tones for your rugs, tables, throws, pillows, etc
- Dark timber—for your tables, chairs, lamps, light fixtures, bowls, etc
To really make your room pop, choosing the right accessories with the right colors is key. Earth-greens and dark browns for a real traditional and natural look, or pastels in soft red, blue and yellow tones to be warm and comfortable. There’s lots to play around with!